Friday, March 4, 2011

The Button Top

Believe it or not summer is coming. Since I have a goal of making the entire summer wardrobe of my kids, and myself if I get around to it. I thought I better get started. So today is layering piece #1 I love that it can be worn with pants and a shirt or sweater for cooler days, or worn as a dress, or with a pair of shorts on hot summer days. 
The lightweight linen makes a perfectly breezy summer top.

and it has some nice body to it, for the perfectly feminine form.

It is easy to make and is created based on the
Abbey Dress and The Sweet Top.



To make the pattern:
Grab a shirt that fits well. Start just under the armpit and add width to the top so it has some body to it. I also put in a slight A-line
For the top bodice it will come across the chest at the neckline and put the curve in for the arm. The back bodice will be the same as this front bodice piece only I made mine an inch wider so it would have extra room to make it easy on and off.
Then to make your gathered front piece add a few inched to the top of the bodice piece and a little room out the side. (the dotted line in the picture above) Then I cut the gathered piece out first and cut the pattern down to size to cut the lining piece.
You will also cut 2 back bodice pieces one out of the outer fabric and one lining.
cut one skirt piece on the fold and 2 not on the fold.

Additionally I cut out two pockets, I just eyeballed the shape I wanted (you will see them later) Also 2 shoulder straps.

To sew the back bodice piece:
sew the two back bodice pieces right sides together along the top and sides leaving a space for the elastic. Then clip the curve and turn it right side out. Then sew below the top line creating an elastic casing. Then slide the elastic in and sew it at both ends to secure. Thats it for the back. 

For front bodice take taller piece and run a basting stitch down both sides and two strips down the middle. Then sew the two front pieces right sides together along the top edge. Then pull to gather the taller piece so it matches the lining piece. Then sew it in place along the same line that you gathered.

Last take your front and back pieces and sew them right sides together at the side (right under the arm curve) 

Take the back pieces and sew them together down the straight edge. Then line the pockets up on the right side of the skirt piece. Sew them to the skirt along the edge. Do this with the front and back skirt piece with all 4 pocket pieces. Make sure they all line up. Then flip the pocket out and topstitch along the seam. Then you should have two skirt pieces that have the pockets flipped outward, almost like little ears.

Then place the front and back skirt pieces together and sew along out side edge, sewing around the pockets.
Then when you turn it right side around the pockets should be perfectly in place, hidden in the dies seam.

Next sew the bodice to the skirt piece adding pleats where needed. 
Lastly sew your shoulder straps with them folded in half sew the top and one side to create a tube. Turn it right side out and sew the straps to the front and back of the top.
Lastly I dug through my button drawer and grabbed a few pairs of buttons and sewed them to the front of the bodice down the lines that were sewn in place.

That's it. Now you have a sweet little top with pockets to hold all your little one's treasures.

The sweet buttons and easy breezy fit will call out for summer.


But until summer arrives we will layer it with my new favorite cardigan, and it is perfect for spring.


Enjoy!

31 comments:

  1. ugh - this is so cute! You're killing me with your productivity!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously. SERIOUSLY! this is so freaking adorable!!! i can't even take it!!!

    ~selina

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just so cute, way to go. Tone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!
    Thank you for these excellent tutorials. It's always nice to see how things get done, and it helps to get them done right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is absolutely ADORABLE!!! Bookmarking it immediately! L-O-V-E!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Grampat could see you now. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously, SO CUTE. I love that bodice! The pockets are a great touch. AND I LOVE THAT BODICE. Did I mention the bodice? I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is adorable! I am adding it to my must sew next list. Thanks to you, that list is growing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously how do you get so many projects done so quickly!?!

    I LOVE it as always! ;) Can't wait to make one too. I'm also trying to get a leg up on my daughter's summer wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! That's so precious and I want on of those cardigans! I am with brick story you kill me with your productivity! I have got four projects all unfinished!...Maybe I should get off the computer and go work on them huh? lol! oh and where did you get lightweight linen if you don't mind? I wanted to me a white linen dress for Sophie for spring but I just found it too heavy...Like you said I wanted something breezy..

    ReplyDelete
  11. love love love this! Made one for my darling girl today! I used a light cotton turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a sweet little top! I love the ruching and all those buttons! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-the-button-top-for-little-girls/2011/03/07/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I saw a little girl wearing something sorta similar at the library one day and WANTED to ask her mom where it came from. But sadly they disappeared before I had the chance. It was corduroy but looked very similar in style and shape as this. I'm so gonna go make one now! And if you throw a long sleeve shirt under it, bam winter wear! Love it! (hopefully my kiddo loves it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this shirt is adorable!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this!!!!!! So adorable! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too cute for words, your daughter AND the top! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still loving this dress! Needed to show everyone that it is on my never ending to-do list! Lol

    http://www.mesewcrazy.com/2011/03/friday-sew-crazy-features.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  18. so adorable! I may have to make one for my daughter. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You were featured today at Today's Top 20! I'd love if you stopped by!

    Amanda
    www.todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am in love. So adorable. I kind of want one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is so adorable! I linked it on my blog today. thank you for it!
    http://www.ourlifestyled.com/2011/07/favorites-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found your blog through Pinterest and just love it! I subscribed so I can keep up with all the cute tutorials. I have a six-month-old daughter (my first), and I can't wait to put all kinds of cuteness on her.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these tutorials. I am going to learn to sew because of this. LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are you for real? I mean, seeing this is like having my daughter's summer wardrobe realized (if I can finally get to it). I simply ADORE this dress/top/tunic/perfection. I love the linen you used, and I MUST MUST MUST make a few of these. So versatile and essential. THANK YOU for sharing, and even existing. I am a HUGE (and new) fan. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello! I found you through Pinterest, and I am itching to get busy "copying" some of your creations! Thanks for the super easy-to-follow tutorials.

    I would love to see the cardigan you linked in this post, but the link is down. Could you send it to me if it is still available?

    Thanks a bunch!!

    Krista
    kristaleigh520@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get the link to the cardigan? I would love to get that from you! Thank you!

      Delete
  26. I too would love the link to the cardigan
    Pleeease :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I too would love the link to the cardigan
    Pleeease :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found the link to the cardigan sweater!!! YAY!!!! http://liberatecreativity.com/2011/02/21/the-inaguration-cardigan/

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments! We love questions just the same, so go ahead and ask away! If you ask a question and your email is linked we will respond to your email, if not we will try to respond in the comments, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...